Sunday, June 5, 2011

Last Night at Home

Ever since I found out what the Peace Corps was all about I knew that after I graduated college I would be a PCV.  This dream has become my reality.  Now I can only think should it have stayed a mere dream? Can I handle this reality? What have I gotten myself into? Questioning your own capabilities is healthy and I am no longer worried about being worried. I am mentally and physically ready for this experience. Also I am officially packed 79 lbs (80 lb limit).
Wednesday morning I will arrive in Accra, Ghana. The flight is just over 10 hours long. If you have seen the news about the flight last week going to Ghana from Dulles International Airport, yes I am on the same flight and yes I will be putting my seat back because I do need to sleep. It would just be completely ironic if a fight broke out on our flight with 73+ PEACE Corps workers, so no worries.  The first week I will be getting orientated; therefore, I will not be able to use the Internet. By the next time I blog I will be able to tell you all about the food, weather, other volunteers and my home stay family.

Thank you all again for your support and love. Here is a short list of things that I will miss and not miss:

Miss
Dry red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon)
Mango sorbetto
Caprese salad...really any type of salad
BBQ sauce (some Masterpiece might have to be sent to me)
Fresh organic vegetables (maybe I'll get lucky and have some agriculture person near me)
Listening to Smiley and West podcasts
Watching Democracy Now! in the morning
Family, friends, dogs (OBVIOUSLY)
Possibly going on walks by myself
Eventually the Ithaca snow

Not Miss
TV
American politics
Over zealous soccer moms in minivans
Consumerism
Cookie cutter neighborhoods

The things I am looking forward to are endless!

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
-Nelson Mandela

No comments:

Post a Comment